Monday, May 12, 2008

Too Much Security

After writing my previous post (it looks like I'm writing both of these today, but I wrote the previous post much earlier and just got around to publishing it) I started thinking about the problems with too much security. The main reason I got started thinking about this is because I got a Nintendo DS for my birthday and it doesn't support WPA encryption. I then got to thinking about the area I live in. I live in a rural neighborhood where the neighbors are spaced out pretty well. There really isn't much need for heavy encryption becuase someone would have to be in the room closest to my house at my neighbors house or would have to be pulled up in my driveway or backyard. I doubt this is really going to happen at all so I decided to loosen my security a little bit. Most definitely though, if I lived in an apartment complex I would use the heaviest security I could get because someone in a neighboring apartment or the apartments above or below could intercept and use my wireless network. So now after I've scared your pants off with all the security talk, really consider what type of security is right for you. Obviously the more secure your network is the harder it is going to be for you to use it, so think about it before you completely lock it down.

No comments: